Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sometimes Old School is Still the Best

I am at the Memphis Minority Business Council's Economic Development Fair today and was there yesterday as well. I have been trying to be more "green" and have been doing a digital business card instead of an actual paper card--to save the trees. Wow, no bueno! While most people are generally amicable with the, "I'm green...saving a tree" bit, it is still an uncomfortable moment not to have a physical card to give them.

*Sigh* I guess everything can't be green. As such, I am blogging today from McDonald's as I wait for Office Depot to print my emergency cards.

This made me think about the numerous questions I get weekly, even daily, about where the future of media and communications is going and how releveant paper anything (cards, newspapers, magazines, etc) will be in this truly electronic age. I am a big fan off all things technology and make a business out of social media, the internet, etc. I believe in it and am vocal about it. However, I do believe that paper still has a place in the world.

Let's look at a few examples:

Press/Media Kits
Anyone serious about business, whether mainstream or entertainment, should have a press/media kit that details their business, music, etc. Digital press kits are fantastic because they can be as beautiful and interactive as you, or your designer, makes them. They can be sent to media outlets and potential clients for free by e-mail. They can also be shared easily the same way. On the con side of DPKs, there are many items, like promotional items, that can only go into a physical, printed press kit.

Business Cards
Of course I am going to touch on business cards. Let me tell you from my very short experiement, digital cards are great for follow-up, but a paper card seems to win. Other areas may be different, but in Memphis, TN. paper cards are the law.

Newsapers and Magazines
Yes, mainstream newspapers and magazines are struggling and closely daily. Web magaines (also called webzines)are becoming the go-to sources for news. One community is reading, and invested in, creating new magazines and new papers weekly--the Hispanic community. In the Hispanic community (at least in the Southeast)the majority of their news comes from newspapers and magazines. They also keep these periodicals for at least 2 months. They are almost always free. Publishers are finding cheaper ways to produce top quality products with little to no overhead.

~These are my two cents, what do you think?

No comments: